moving sign


***************************************************************

DN Speak has moved.


Click here to go to DN Speak 2016 for new posts.


***************************************************************


































































Featured: Interviews for the Well-Informed

Featured: Interviews for the Well-Informed

Did you know? After the last post on this page is a link to "Older posts".

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

What Do Atheists Tell Their Children?


""Dad do people really get wings in heaven?"

This is the sort of tricky post-existential question that children launch at you out of the blue. Luckily I have a mouthful of toast which gives me a moment to consider my response. I have to be careful, maybe he's heard this at school? Maybe someone in his class has just lost a relative?

I want to say "No son. No wings. Because there is no heaven or hell, no life eternal. This is it. Just you and me and hot buttered toast. The rest is just stories. Stories designed to scare you into being nice to people, but you're nice to people anyway. You're my heaven. And I'm sorry I can't be convinced I'll survive the death of my body, but, in a way, through you and maybe one day your children, I'll survive my death for as long as I need to. Through you I'll continue. And that's enough for me. It should be enough for anyone."
But I don't say this because it's pretentious and he's only five..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/james-conmy/atheism-what-to-tell-your-children_b_4703249.html

No comments:

Post a Comment








Click Older Posts above to see more.





Search this blog